Pandemic-related I-9 compliance allowances coming to a close.
For a brief period, employers were allowed to accept expired documents due to delays with federal parties providing updated documentation. As the country begins to move forward, the Department of Human Services has begun to reassess priorities. Have you onboarded new team members between May 1, 2020 – and April 30, 2022? If so, this is a friendly reminder, to review your employee’s I-9.
The DHS has announced the following changes to I-9 compliance.
According to the DHS:
- If the employee who presented an expired List B document is still employed, he or she must provide an unexpired document that establishes identity. The Society of Human Resource Management or SHRM suggests that this could be a renewed version of the expired List B document that was previously presented, a different unexpired List B document, or an unexpired List A document [such as a U.S. passport or permanent resident card] that establishes both identify and work authorization.
- If the employee is no longer employed by the company, no action is necessary. In addition, no action is required if a List B document was auto extended by the issuing authority.
It is important to note that the I-9 regulations pertaining to virtual viewing are still in effect. Per the USCIS, the current electronic signature guidelines are as follows. As a reminder for those who complete their I-9 forms electronically the system used for capturing the electronic signatures must include the following:
- Allow individuals to acknowledge that they read the
- Attach the electronic signature to an electronically completed Form I-
- Affix the electronic signature at the time of the
- Create and preserve a record verifying the identity of the person producing the
- Upon the employee’s request, provide a printed confirmation of the transaction.
- Include a method to acknowledge you have attested to the required information in Section 2.
The thought of going through and auditing your recently completed I-9’s forms can feel like a huge hassle or even a daunting task. Our amazing team of Human Resources professionals here at Solutions At Work would be able to provide a comprehensive I-9 audit to ensure that your I9’s are in compliance with state and federal regulations. Contact one of our experts today at 775-828-7420 or firstname.lastname@example.org